10 Side Hustles To Make an Extra $1000 a Month
Yo Creatives! I get it– You might already work a full-time job and really don’t have time to pick up a second job or you might be currently working on your craft but the money isn’t coming in as fast as you need it.
Did you know that when I started my blog last year I was working a full-time job that I dreaded going to every day? Yes, last year when I started my blog I was actually working a full-time job at a printing company as a Contract Analyst. I took on the job after my performing arts teaching job ended.
While at the job I often wondered how long I would have to stay there because I wasn’t fulfilled — at all. So, shortly after being at that job, I decided to turn my blog into a full-time business. Let me tell you at first I didn’t make any money from my blog the first few months at first. So, I decided to look into doing different side hustles while I grew my blog.– and it worked!
So, I know how hard it can be when you are looking for ways to make extra money to grow your business or to go on that next acting audition so I went on a hunt to find the best ways to make $1000 per month. Most of the gigs are fun and cool which makes things a little better, right? So, this article shares over 7 ways how you can make an extra $1000 a month doing some pretty cool side jobs.
Let’s dive in!
Drive Your Car
One of the quickest ways to earn extra money is by driving for companies such as Uber, Lyft and Amazon Flex. One of my favorite ones is Uber! My husband recently started driving for Uber on the weekend and makes an additional $300 just from driving a few hours during the weekends. So a person can easily make up to $1000 per month driving for companies like Uber and Lyft very quickly. The awesome thing about Uber is that they pay right after you complete your drives for the day.
- Set Your own schedule
One of the best things about driving for companies such as Uber and Lyft is that you can set your own schedule. So you can drive even if you have a full-time job like my husband Jeromy. You can also drive as little or as much as you want which is HUGE. So, if you need an extra $200 for rent then you can drive 2 to 4 days out the month and earn an extra $200 fast. A lot of people are constantly on the GO so the demand for drivers will more than likely always be high.
- Quick Payments
The quick payment method is probably my favorite thing about Uber. Right, when you finish your rides for the night you get paid. Uber send your earnings directly to your bank account so if you need to earn an extra $200 to $300 within’ 4 or 5 days you can totally make that driving with Uber.
- Meet New People
To have Uber driving success, my husband Jeromy Peterson told me about the must-have items that every Uber driver should have, which include
- Cell phone holder: Having a cell phone holder will help you view the directions to your destination quickly. While driving you definitely want to be hands-free to ensure the security of the passengers.
- Cell phone charger: Along with a cell phone car holder you will need your cell phone charger. As you may already know most batteries in smartphones go down quickly so it’s a good idea to be prepared and to have an additional charger on standby just in case your phone hits the red zone. I don’t know about your phone but my phone seems to go down super fast when I use apps such as Mapquest.
- Car air fresher & cleaning cloths: One of the most important things in my opinion is the “health” of a car. To make a great first impression make sure that you have car fresheners and cloths to clean your car in your trunk.
Are you great at designing different logos or creating websites? If so, you can totally make up to $1000 per month posting up your services on places such as Fiverr. One of my friends currently does graphic designs for different companies and her average monthly job pays her around $800 and up. According to the Bureau of Labor stats the average graphic designers make $25 hour. Below are 3 things to help with your graphic design business.
- Reliable Computer: In the graphic design business having a reliable computer is a must. Without a reliable computer, it will make it harder to complete jobs so make sure to have a computer that you can use on a regular basis.
- Knowledge of certain programs: In order to have success with the graphic design side hustle you will need to know how to use certain programs such as Canva, PicMonkey, and Photoshop. Knowing those programs will make your life much easier when designing logos, flyers and more.
- Website or portfolio of your work: Most people want to see the work of the graphic designer before they invest in a project so make sure to have your work online and easy to access for new clients. You can set up a website on wordpress.org or Squarespace with all the projects you have worked on which will be your portfolio.
Teach Students From Your Home
Do you like working with children and have a Bachelor degree? If so, you can totally tutor online. One of my favorite places online that offer tutoring jobs is VIPKid. With VipKid you can earn up to $1000 a month tutoring children online right from your home. VipKid provides an international learning experience to Chinese children – all from the comfort of their homes. I love VipKid so much that I am going to list 3 reasons why they rock.
- Super flexible: With Vipkid you can work at least 7 hours per week and you can pick your own hours to work and work around your personal schedule. I know a ton of stay moms and bloggers that work with Vipkid and it works great with their schedules.
- The program is made by educators for educators: How amazing is that the Vipkid program is created by teachers. The staff truly cares about the students and teachers and it shows in their customer service.
- Teacher support: Teachers apart of the Vipkid team will get support before and after each lesson which is HUGE. The Vipkid staff provides lesson plans, real-time tech support, and a large operation team to help meet each teacher’s needs.
Start A Blog
One of the best decision I have made thus far was to start a blog! If you have a passion for a subject you can totally create a blog and make $1000 per month. I currently make over $1500 monthly right from my blog and you can make that and MORE with your own blog!
There are numerous of ways you can make money from your blog such as Ad revenue, affiliate marketing, selling products and more. One piece of advice I would give a new blogger would be to Identify your audience! Identifying your audience, in the beginning, is super important for your blog + biz. Before you think about monetizing your blog, make sure that you know who your target audience is because it will make it easier to create products for them. If you aren’t sure who your audience is, think about the type of people you want to attract to your blog. Are you a mom blogger and want to attract moms that are looking to make extra money? Are you a personal finance blogger and want to connect with others that want to learn how to save money and get out of debt? After you identify your target audience create products such as Ebooks and Ecourses geared towards helping them find solutions to their problems. I recently saw a post from Nicole Walter that said,
” If you get 1,000 people to spend $100 a YEAR in your business- that’s $100,000. Not chump change.You don’t need everyone. Serve the heck out of the people that show up, and be authentic to who you are.”
If you are looking to start blog check out this post which is a full tutorial on how to get started today and how to start making money from your blog.
Remote Call Center
In the online world, customer service jobs are high in demand. So, if you like working with people via phone or online then a customer service job might be great for you. The great thing about online customer service jobs is that you can do them in your PJ’s and in the comfort of your own home. Different companies such as Apple, Uhaul and more hire people to help with IT support, customer service support, chat support and more. A lot of positions are seasonal but some can lead to full-time work from home jobs. Some great places to check for jobs such as these are 1-800 Flowers, Convergys and U-Haul.
If you love working on the computer and if you are good with different tasks such as editing, data entry and assisting others you can totally become a VA ( virtual assistant). A ton of companies hires independent contractors to help with data entry, social media marketing and more. Some places to find virtual assistant jobs are: Fancy Hands and TimeEtc. If you are looking to start working online today you can totally sign up for a site called, User testing. The Usertesting site pays users to give their opinions on different websites. I normally make an extra $150-200 a month from Usertesting which totally adds to my monthly finance goals. You can also sign up to complete different surveys online if you are looking to make money today. I make additional $300 per month by completing surveys online. Here are my favorite LEGIT survey sites to make extra money each month: SwagBucks, Pinecone Research, Harris Poll Online, VIPVoice, Opinion Outpost YouGov, Survey Voices, Product Report Card, One Opinion, Earning Station and Shop Tracker!
Write an Ebook
One of the best ways to make money from blogging is by creating an Ebook! Abby from Just a Girl and Blog has made over $100,000 just off her Ebook and products. She started her blog 3 years ago and at that time she didn’t know much about blogging but now makes six figures teaching others how to blog effectively in her products. How cool is that? So, if you have a great idea definitely think about creating an ebook to help your readers of your blog solve a problem. Once you build an audience from your blog it will be easier to sell your Ebook which will turn into income for you.
Become a Dog Walker
Do you love dogs and want to make extra money? Well, dog walking might be up your alley! It’s a plus if you have previous experience walking dogs because most companies prefer that you have experience working with different type of dogs and able to control the dog while walking outside. Also, if you are able to walk more than one day at a time you will be able to make even more money. Most dog walkers can make up $20 per hour and work on their own schedule. One of the best places to find jobs as a dog walker is on Rover! Check out Rover by clicking here!