One of the best decisions I made last year was to start a blog. At the time, I had just found out I was pregnant with my first child so after chatting with my husband we decided that I would stay at home instead of working my then job. So– Let me ask you. Are you passionate about something and like to write? Well, starting a blog might be up your alley!
Since I have started my blog I have made great extra money while working from home. When I first started my blog, my first main focus was developing great content. With great content, a person can make a great living as a blogger. How can a person make a living blogger? There are a ton of ways a person can.
For example, you can make money from affiliate marketing through your blog. Michelle From Making Sense of cent made over $900,000 last year– What! Yup! She made over $900,000 directly from her blog and a large portion of that came from affiliate marketing through her blog! Check out her Girl BOSS Forbes article here. Oh– Also my friend blogger Kristin from Believe in A Budget also makes a great living from blogging! I recently just did an interview with her and she shares how she made over $60,000 with her blog this YEAR! Whattttt!! Yup, over $60,000 with her blog! Check out her interview Here! So, if you are thinking about starting a blog today could be the day, woo hoo! 🙂 You totally got this and will conquer it.
In this tutorial, I will give you step by step instructions on how to set up a new blog on Bluehost & WordPress in minutes! I will also share tips on how to start generate traffic to your blog + make extra money from your blog! Woo hoo!!!. Let’s get started! 🙂
- PICK A NAME: Before you sign up for blog hosting I recommend taking a few days to pick the PERFECT name! You will want to pick something that is unique and fits your style and blog style. For example, if you want to start a food blog having a name like “ Lover Of Shirt Fashion” might confuse people so make sure to pick a name that fits into your theme. When I first began my blog name journey I knew that I wanted to mix the worlds of the Creative Arts and Finance and the Lord gave me the name, “ Arts and Budgets”!. 🙂 It was impeccable and I had total peace with going with that name! After you pick your new blog name, you will need to register your NEW perfect name! Yahooooo! 🙂
- REGISTER YOUR NEW NAME WITH A HOSTING SITE: Your new hosting location will be where your blog will be so it’s very important to pick a hosting site that is trustworthy. The hosting site that I use to register my blog name is BLUEHOST. You can get your domain name directly through Bluehost and make the whole process very easy. If you want to check out BLUEHOST click on the picture below:
- SELECT YOUR PLAN: For starters, I suggest getting the basic package for 12 or 36 months! The 36-month package will give you the best deal but as stated before, go with the plan that fits into your budget during the time of sign up.! Please note: BlueHost charges you for the full 12 or 36 months amount upfront when you sign up. You will be pre-paying for hosting and that’s one of the reasons why they are actually able to offer such great hosting for the small price and I believe it’s totally WORTH it! 🙂 Also, note that they have a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the service during a certain amount of time.
- REGISTER YOUR DOMAIN NAME: After that, just register your new domain name! At the moment you can get a domain name for FREE when you purchase 12 or more months of hosting!
Then, enter your account & contact information:
You will also have the option to add on more options but I only added on the Domain Privacy Protection and haven’t add on any other options currently. With the Domain Privacy Protection, it helps keeps your personal information such as address, email and telephone number safe from the public. Also remember that you can sign up for the additional features later as well.
You’ll then be prompted to enter your billing information and agree to the terms and conditions! Once you finished with signing up and our order is processed, you should see a welcome message from BLUEHOST! Yaay! 🙂
- INSTALL WORDPRESS: BlueHost makes it’s very easy to create a WordPress blog and it’s free of charge! Yaaaay! 🙂
Next, login to YOUR Bluehost account at Bluehost.com and then you will install WordPress!
1. When you are in your cPanel (you will receive a link to this in your welcome email from Bluehost), find the Install WordPress button under “WEBSITE” and click it.
2. Then you will be redirected to the MoJo Market Place. Click on the big green Install button.
3. Then select your domain and then click “Check Your Domain”. WordPress then check the domain to make sure nothing else is installed on it.
4. Next, you will fill in your site title & information.
5. Then Click Install and then MoJo will go to work to install WordPress on your account. (Remember to save your username and password.)
Once WordPress has been installed, you’ll type your site name in the search box and add wp-login.php to edit and update your blog/
Here is an example YoursiteName/wp-login.php (put your domain name where it says YoursiteName).
When you have your login & password from the MoJo Marketplace credential email you will then be able to log into WordPress and see your WordPress dashboard! It might be a little confusing at first but with time and practice, you will be a PRO! 🙂 Trust ME, when I started I was clueless but now I explore the WordPress dashboard with a breeze.
If you are more of a video tutorial person check out this WordPress Tutorial
Yaaaay!!!! You have now completed your sign up & logged onto WORDPRESS!
So you complete your blog sign up — So, What’s next?
Below are some tips and tools to help you get started with setting up your new blog and start making money and generating traffic to it.
1. Design Your WordPress Blog
If you want to take it up a notch I recommend getting a premium theme by setting up genesis framework + a child theme. Genesis Framework is the base that many developers use to custom their child themes. In order for your child theme to work you have to first get the genesis framework.
Genesis Framework can be used alone but it will be very basic looking. Additionally, having both helps with not losing your custom setting during updates. Another plus is that you get access to more plugins than you with Genesis Framework.
So, as a result of a lot of people normally buy a child theme. Note that, most child themes need the Genesis Framework to work so you will end up buying both the Genesis Framework and a child theme separately. But, in my opinion, it’s so worth it. You can buy the Genesis framework and child theme right from Studio Press.com.
Below are some child themes on the Studiopress website. Check out that site by clicking here.
After you purchase Genesis Framework from Studiopress.com you can watch the video below to see how to install the framework.
After you get Genesis Framework installed, next you want to get your child theme! I currently use a child theme from Restored316 Designs.
I absolutely love the themes from Restored 316 Designs and the owner Lauren is very helpful and her team responds very fast when you need help installing a theme. They also have GREAT tutorials for setting up a new theme as well.
Some other awesome places to find themes are:
2. Generate Traffic to Your site
I have a post that goes over 8 tips to grow your blog traffic like a Boss! Check it out by clicking here.
3. Start making money with your blog
- Affiliate Marketing
With Affiliate Marketing you are rewarded for recommending and promoting products and services that you have on your blog. You will receive a commission for any sales that occur from your referral link. For example, if you are an affiliate for a survey site and post the direct link on your website you will get rewarded every time someone signs up through your link. Pretty cool, right?
There something for everyone in affiliate marketing. Some of the products you can promote are as follow: Cell phone companies, digital products, other blogger’s Ebooks & E-course (after you have purchased them), clothes, crafts, blog-related products such as web design, web hosting and more.The opportunities are absolutely endless in this field.
Here are my favorite Affiliate marketing programs that you can sign up for FREE!
That’s right, you can get paid by having different ads on your website. I currently use Google Adsense. Basically, I have ads throughout my website and every time someone clicks on an ad on my site, I get rewarded. Check out Google Adsense HERE for more information how to sign up.
- Resource Page
By putting a resource page on your website you can suggest the different products & services that you like. It gives the readers a chance to look into your resource list- which is very valuable! Most of the time readers want to know what you are using so they can achieve the same results. So, having a resource page is a huge plus as it will help them achieve their goals. Having a resource page will answer your reader’s questions, help increase your blog traffic and help increase your passive income (If you add affiliate links from some of your fave products to the resource list). After you build a great relationship with your readers this page will generate passive income because your readers will trust your advice and suggestions & sign up for the great products and service that you suggest. Check out my resource page HERE to get an idea of how to set one up.
Sell your product and services, yo! Everyone is great at something and knows a lot about a subject so why not put that knowledge into a E-Book or E-course? If you have an idea or know a lot about a subject then you can make an Ebook or guide and sell it right on your website. A great example of this method is from Regina at ByRegina.com! Check out her product page HERE. She has a ton of different products ranging from $5 bucks all the way up to $ 300 bucks. Every little bit counts.
- Sponsored Posts
With brand promotion, you can share and promote products that you actually love and get paid for it. Most of the time, you have to apply to the company directly to see if you get accepted but it doesn’t hurt to try, right?! Some of my favorite are: Linqia, IZEA, and TapInfluence .
For more blogging resources head over to my Recommendation page here: Recommendations.
Oh! Feel free to join my Facebook Community Creative Ninja Nation filled with other awesome Creatives by clicking here!
This page includes some affiliate links.