Are you an independent artist and ready to record a new album but currently don’t have funds to support your project? If so, I am here to tell you that it is possible to gain funding with a lot of hard work and dedication. To raise funds, you need to make a plan and stick with it. You have to figure out what avenues you’re going to take in order to raise the funds and also know all that is required of you to do so. It is important to ask yourself these questions: How soon are you looking to raise the funds? How much funding are you trying to raise? What avenues are you looking into to raise these funds?
Below are some ways you can raise funds that can help launch your career. Keep in mind, that some of the funding may depend on where you are located, so make sure you check out the locations associated with each opportunity as well as look through all the rules and regulations.
Now, let’s get to finding ways to help fund your album Yahooooo!
1. CrowdFunding: Crowdfunding is one of the fastest ways to raise funds for a music project. With the help of social media, people can raise anywhere from one hundred dollars to thousands of dollars and even more! Many artists have successfully raised money on sites like: Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Sellaband, PledgeMusic, Pateron, Go Fund Me, etc. On these sites you simply explain your project and request support from the public. This is one of the best ways you can fund a recording because the money you raise is actually revenue (rather than a debt you need to pay back!) Yaaay, for debt FREE!
2. Government Funding & Grants: Grants for artists can provide support for projects and be an income source that allows artists to focus their attention on their current project. To increase your chances of being awarded funding, apply to multiple applicable grants. There are a ton of grants online, so make sure to do some research and find out which ones are the most suitable grants for you to apply for. The following are some online grant resources:
3. Gigs: Not only can doing shows build your fan base but it can also help with funding your next project. The more fans you have, the more possibilities for funding you can get from gigs. Below are some sites that can help with finding gigs in your area:
4. Sell your Merchandise: Once you have your gigs lined up, having merchandise to sell is always a great way to gain revenue to fund your project. Here are some sites that can help you create custom merchandise for sale at your gigs:
5. Pick Up A Side Hustle: There are so many side jobs you can do such as: Uber, Online Surveys, Focus Groups and more. In a later blog post, I will explore the topic of “Side Hustles” in more detail. In the meantime you can sign up for the Arts & Budgets newsletter HERE and receive the freebie, 10 Creative Ways To Make Extra Income: | The Ultimate Resource List” sent directly to your email. 🙂
So, there you have it! I hope the fundraising tips listed are helpful avenues that you can use to gain album funding. Feel free to explore the sites and links provided for more detailed information. What other ways can artists fund their albums? I am interested in hearing your thoughts and stories about what worked for you. =)